KOKOMO, Ind. — Fight summer brain drain with Indiana University Kokomo’s day camps.
With topics ranging from culinary arts to nursing, health and fitness to chemistry, students from kindergarten through high school will be engaged in active learning with IU Kokomo’s professors and students.
In the athletic department, the men’s and women’s basketball teams, soccer and volleyball teams will help young athletes enhance their skills while enjoying their games, with the campus’s largest-ever offering of sports camps.
“Camps provide an invaluable opportunity for our professors to extend their teaching beyond their classrooms and teach the next generation of college students,” said Mark Canada, executive vice chancellor for academic affairs, “Our creative teachers have some fun, hands-on learning activities in store for the children and teens who participate in our camps.”
The newest addition to the camp roster is a culinary camp for teens, teaching kitchen safety, measurement, recipes, basic culinary techniques, nutrition, and food preparation. Taught by Kim Mossburg, lecturer in nutritional science and sponsored by the Women of the Well House, the camp is from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. June 17 to June 21 in the Main Building. Cost is $45 per student. For more information, contact Mossburg at email@example.com.
Links to register for all camps can be found at iuk.edu/summercamps.
Academic camps also include:
- Health camps: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 10 to June 14 at Jackson Morrow Park, 4200 S. Park Road. Children ages 6 to 11 have a 45-minute health lesson each day, and also participate in sports activities and arts and crafts. Parents may choose from Camp Eeze the Wheeze for asthma, KIDDS camp for diabetes, or FIT camp for health, wellness, and nutrition. Sessions are led by nursing students, supervised by faculty. Cost is $20. For more information, contact Lesley Connolly at 765-455-9543 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Science Rocks!: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 10 to June 14, Hunt Hall. Middle school students will complete projects in biology, chemistry, and geology, with a focus on health-related issues. There will also be activities in physics, including rocket launching. All activities will be led by science faculty and student teaching assistants. Free. Registration due by May 20. For more information, contact Patrick Motl at 765-455-9305 or email@example.com.
- Health Professions Exploration: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the East Building July 24 for students in grades 7-8, and July 25 or July 26 for grades 9-12. The exploration days allow hands-on experience for students interested in health care careers. The day includes physical therapy, nutrition, and radiology in the morning, and nursing in the afternoon. Free, and lunch is provided. For more information, contact Tamera Ledbetter at 765-455-9478 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Women’s Soccer ID camp: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 9, Kokomo Municipal Stadium, 400 S. Union St. The camp is for players who are juniors or seniors in high school interested in potentially being recruited for the IU Kokomo women’s soccer team. $30. For more information, contact Zach Hammon, assistant coach, at email@example.com or go to iukcougars.com.
- Women’s volleyball camps and tournament: June 10-13, Cougar Gym, 507 E. Superior St. June 10 and June 11 half-day clinics in setting, attacking/blocking, passing, and defense, for players entering grades 9-12. All skills clinic June 12 and June 13 for players entering grades 3-7. 2 vs. 2 split court high school tourney June 13. Cost is $35 for one clinic, $50 for two clinics, $75 for three clinics, or $100 for four clinics. All skills clinic is $40 for both days. Tournament entry is $50 per team. Coach Heather Hayes also offers on-site clinics by appointment. For more information, call 765-455-9463 or go to iukcougars.com.
- Women’s basketball camps June 21 to June 23 in Cougar Gym, 507 E. Superior St. High school teams are invited to a camp from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 21 and 22. Elite camp, for individual high school players, is from 12 to 4 p.m. June 23. Team camp is $200 per team. Elite camp is $50 per player. For more information, contact Whitney Shaffer, assistant coach, at 765-455-9582 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Men’ basketball camps: July 8-12 and July 15-19 for grades 5-9, July 22-26 for grades 1-4. Half day and full day options available in skills camp for all ages, and competitive edge, guard camp, and shooting camp for grades 5-9. Cost is $75 for a half day camp and $150 for full day. For more information contact Coach Eric Echelbarger at email@example.com.
Indiana University Kokomo serves north central Indiana.